Lower School Wellness Program
K-5 Wellness Philosophy
Through a balanced and developmentally appropriate curriculum, the wellness program emphasizes a sound mind in a healthy body. We nurture the whole child by teaching the skills and fitness components necessary to enhance health and promote participation in physical activities and sports. In a safe, supportive and fun environment, children are motivated to discover their unique potential and develop a sense of responsibility, respect, and perseverance. Progressively, children learn the elements of teamwork, sportsmanship, and competition as preparation to participate at the Middle School level.
As part of the Wellness Program, BB&N’s B-5 Physical Education curriculum is built upon the National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes developed by SHAPE - Society of Health and Physical Educators (see Standards 1-5 below).
In addition to the five National Standards, the BB&N Physical Education department developed two complementary standards emphasizing the values of BB&N (see Standards 6 & 7 below).
Our program fosters “physical literacy” in an empowering environment by preparing students to:
- Demonstrate competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Apply knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Recognize the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
- Show kindness through a positive attitude, constructive behavior, empathy, and supportive feedback.
- Cultivate self-awareness and self-regulation through mindfulness and relaxation techniques as part of developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.