Established in 1974, Buckingham Browne & Nichols School traces its roots back to the late 19th century. The merger of two Cambridge schools led to its creation. Browne & Nichols School, founded in 1883 by George H. Browne and Edgar H. Nichols, was a boys’ school. Meanwhile, the Buckingham School, established in 1889 by Jeannette Markham, was initially a coeducational institution at lower grades and later catered exclusively to girls. While the schools operated independently for many years, they began collaborating in the 1950s and offered joint classes from 1970. The official merger took place on January 1, 1974. Today, BB&N provides exceptional education to Pre-K through Grade 12 students across three campuses, emphasizing deep learning and educational excellence.
The BB&N Archives documents the history of the school beginning in 1883 with the founding of the Browne & Nichols School, and continuing through the first classes of the Buckingham School in 1889, the merger of these two schools in 1974, and the ever-growing history being created at BB&N today.
To collect, preserve, and provide access to materials that document the administrative and academic functions of BB&N and the experiences of the school’s community throughout its history
To organize, describe, and make available these historical materials in accessible formats for researchers both within and beyond the school community
To support the educational and research needs of BB&N’s students, both inside and outside the classroom
To learn more about our history or share your memories of the school, please visit the BB&N Archives.